BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 26, 2010

To Sleep...Perchance To Dream

In the past I've told myself to start documenting my dreams. I am fascinated by hidden meanings in them and the dream cycle as a whole. I have always been a vivid dreamer. It is very seldom that I don't remember at least some of a dream I had the previous night. Believe it or not, I've even had dreams that somewhat come true, or something very close to it has happened. Now before you go off thinking I'm crazy, I don't think I'm psychic in the least bit. I just think that a lot of times, dreams are our sub-conscience screaming at us. It all depends on how much attention we give it.

Last night I had a horrible dream. I dreamed that my sister's maid of honor had died. There was no explanation in the dream of what had happened, just that she was no longer with us. It was devastating. I even remember walking into the morgue and seeing her body out on the table -- It was that vivid. She is a mom of twin girls and all I could think was "those poor little girls." My sister, of course, was devastated too. To top it off, later in the dream, a girl that I work with passed away as well. Again, the reason why was never revealed. The whole essence of the dream was dark and dreary, almost as if there was a haze over everything. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well. I kept waking up, tossing and turning, and looking at the clock. I got up exhausted and sad, like they really had died. Funny how dreams stick with you, especially ones of that caliber.

I even debated telling anyone about the dreams. How would you feel if someone walked up to you and said, "Hey, I had a dream that you died last night!" Ouch. I've been told several times that death dreams mean new life and new beginning. At least that's a positive spin on something so dark. I went ahead and told my sister about it. She said she could tell something was bothering me. It was evident I was very tired today. I hate restless sleep. It defeats the purpose of even going to bed.

I could go on and on about different dreams I've had. There's the jumbled, discombobulated type where you remember it but it's so screwed up that you can't put it into words, then there's the very vivid dreams as I had last night, and of course, nights when you don't even remember dreams. Honestly, I have to say that I'm glad I dream the way I do. With the imagination I have, it's only right for my mind to let loose like that. I guess that's the way it vents and prepares for the next day.

"Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives." ~William Dement

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Been there, done that. Remember the dream I had that was a lot like your's? I dreamt that my cousin and my sister in law died. I woke up feeling horrible and told my husband about it and you, and guy I work with. Two days later, my 44 yo cousin had a heart attack. He didn't die though, which was good, but still gave me the creeps. I never did tell him about the dream. My sil is still just fine, so, whew! lol.

Those dreams really suck though, because all the emotion is there just like in real life.

ModernDayDrifter said...

Yeah, that is crazy how that happened. I had another round of really odd dreams last night, but thankfully no one died. It was just a really long and crappy day at work, lol.

Tori Cooper said...

Hello, I ran into your blog from "Tossing it out"- looking forward to reading your A-Z entries... :-)

My dreams are also pretty vivid and realistic. Lately I haven't had any dreams like the one's you talked about... but several times a year I will have a dream that is symbolic (that means something to what I'm going through)... interesting topic of choice... dreams can be so fascinating. :-)